Sunday, December 26, 2010

Comfort Food on a Cold Winter Day

It’s a very cold day in what is supposed to be sunny Florida. I need something hot and hearty for dinner tonight, especially after all the party food we ate during the Christmas holiday. To me, comfort food has to be easy to make, inexpensive, and involve cheese. I decided upon my favorite crock pot concoction; ham and au gratin potatoes.

I’m always trying to come up with inexpensive, hearty meals particularly dishes that my daughter, as a small child, would eat. Potatoes, cheese, and ham were foods that both she and I agreed were acceptable ingredients for dinner. Coupled with a salad, my ham and potatoes au gratin proved to fall into the “make again mommy” category. I hope you like it too.

Ham and Au Gratin Potatoes
Ingredients:

• 5lbs potatoes

• 1 medium onion

• 1 thick sliced pre cooked Ham

• 2 cans Cheddar Cheese Soup

• 1 Cup Milk

Directions:

1. Peel and thickly slice 5 lbs of potatoes and one medium onion.

2. Dice one thick slice of pre-cooked ham.

3. Mix potatoes, onion, and ham together in crock pot.

4. Mix together Cheddar Cheese Soup and Milk.

5. Pour sauce over potatoes; stir a bit to combine.

6. Cook on low in crock pot for 8 hours.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A great dish. You've got the 3 main food groups in there. Dairy, vegetable and meat. My family would love eating this. It can't miss!