Sunday, July 11, 2010

Peanut Butter and Chocolate: The Best Flavor Combination

I needed to tame a craving today but my taste buds couldn’t decide between sweet or salty. As I thumbed through my recipes, I thought, yum, peanut butter and chocolate is really the best combination of flavors when the craving requires both sweet and salty tastes. I searched though all my recipe books and could not find anything that was easy to make. Then, remembered that my Grandmother- in-law, Goo Goo, used to make candy. I dug out one of her candy recipes for Peanut Butter and Pretzel Truffles.



Gwen Hopkins was called Goo Goo by all of her grandchildren. She was a kind, most generous person that anyone would love to have as a grandmother. She was a classic. Her long, thick, gray hair was always perfectly piled on top of her head surrounded by a crown of braided hair. I very rarely, if ever, remember Goo Goo when she wasn’t in a dress, hose, and chunky heeled pumps on her little feet. Everybody just loved Goo Goo.



When Goo Goo was a working woman, she handmade chocolates at the Williams Candy Company in Scranton, Pennsylvania. I guess she would be called a chocolatier. I now wish I took more interest in her craft and copied down more of her candy recipes. She made absolutely wonderful cold fudge, which was a favorite of mine and is now lost forever. However, I did find her recipe for Peanut Butter and Pretzel Truffles. Since I could not actually make chocolate, she said I could melt my favorite chocolate instead.



Peanut Butter and Pretzel Truffles

Ingredients:

• ½ cup crunchy peanut butter
• ¼ cup of chopped salted pretzels
• ½ cup melted chocolate
• Cocoa Powder



Combine peanut butter and pretzels. Chill in freezer about 15 minutes.

Scoop out one teaspoon of mixtures and roll into balls.

Place on cookie sheet and freeze. Approx. 1 hour.

Dip frozen balls in melted chocolate.

Put dipped balls in refrigerator until almost set. Approx. 10 min.

Roll in cocoa powder. (If desired) Chill until firm.

No comments: