Sunday, March 1, 2009

Recipe Searching and Hunting at the Grocery Store

I get so tired of eating and making the same things over and over. My problem is that I always seem so pressed for time. Plus, I hate grocery shopping; which is kind of weird since I like to cook and collect recipes. I’ll flip through my recipe collection and then my cupboard only to discover that I do not have some of the ingredients on hand. Once I’m home from work, I do not like to have to go back out to run to the store. That’s when I call Libby and get her to stop for me. Thank heaven that she loves to shop; but she always brings home more than I asked for since she has access to my debit card. I guess it is a small price to pay since I did not want to grocery shop anyway.

Libby has been interested in Middle Eastern cuisine lately most likely from associating with such a diverse group of students that work in her office at the University of South Florida. I’ve been willing to try anything as long as it’s quick to make, easy to find the ingredients, and seems like it would taste good. I found this recipe in an old edition of a Better Homes and Gardens Magazine I had laying around the house. I let them pile up until I have the time to cut out the recipes I want to try. After reading this recipe for Moroccan Chicken Stew, I thought I would give it a try. And as luck would have it, I had all the ingredients on hand. It turned out great; another “make again” recipe for my family favorites category.

Moroccan Chicken Stew

Ingredients:

1 lb. skinless boneless chicken thighs, cut into 1” pieces
1 tbsp. flour
1 tsp. ground coriander
1 tsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. ground paprika
1 tsp. salt
½ tsp. ground cinnamon
2 medium onions, cut into wedges
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tbsp. olive oil
28oz. can crushed tomatoes
15 oz. can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
1 ½ cups water
½ cup raisins
1/3 cup small pitted black olives
3 cups hot cooked couscous
¼ cup snipped fresh cilantro

Directions:

In a bowl coat chicken with a mixture of flour, coriander, cumin, paprika, salt, and cinnamon. Set aside to marinate.
In a 4-Qt. Dutch oven cook onion and garlic in hot oil until tender. Remove from pan, reserving oil in pan.
Add chicken pieces, cook quickly until lightly browned, stir constantly.
Return onion to pan and add tomatoes, chickpeas, water, raisins, and olives.
Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer about 10 minutes or until chicken is tender. Stir occasionally.
Spoon couscous into soup bowls and ladle stew on top. Sprinkle with cilantro

No comments: